Mavens, the sun is shining and so are we!
It’s the perfect time to plan a company picnic! A summer picnic is a fabulous way to incorporate employee bonding and team building while showing appreciation for your team’s hard work.
Planning a successful company picnic requires careful consideration and attention to detail. We’re here to make it simple for you with the top six things to consider when planning your company’s summer picnic in downtown Indianapolis.
- Location, location, location
The first thing to consider when planning a company picnic is the venue. Downtown Indianapolis has several beautiful parks and outdoor spaces to choose from, such as White River State Park, Military Park, and Garfield Park. Here’s a few things to consider:
- How big is your group?
- What activities do you plan to have?
- Is the venue accessible?
- Can you reserve the space?
- Do you need a permit?
- Rain or shine
There’s nothing like the great outdoors! But, don’t forget these few key factors when planning the best summer company picnic:
- What will the weather be like? Prepare to cancel, reschedule, or pivot locations in the case of rain or a pop-up thunderstorm.
- Bring bug spray and bug repellent to protect your team and your food.
- Provide shade in the case of a sweltering hot day.
- Lend sunscreen to your team to protect from potentially high UV rays.
- Arrive in style
If you are planning a company picnic in downtown Indianapolis, especially at a park, it’s important to consider transportation and parking options.
- Encourage carpooling
- Provide directions to public transportation options
- Consider arranging shuttle services to and from the event
Make sure to provide clear information to employees about parking options and any associated costs.
- Grill and chill
One of the most important aspects of any company picnic is the food and drinks. Remember, the food and drinks will need to be easily transportable and not in need of a refrigerator. Consider these options:
- Potluck it! Have employees hit the kitchen to cook and share with their coworkers.
- Choose to have the event catered and take the pressure off the staff! They have been working hard all year. Give your team a break and put someone else in charge of food.
- Keep drinks ice cold in a cooler. If your dream picnic involves alcoholic beverages, remember that some parks may not allow it.
- Be sure to accommodate for food allergies
- Have some fun
No company picnic is complete without fun activities. Plan activities that encourage team building and participation. Here are a few ideas:
- Large-format games: Connect Four, Giant Jenga, Checkers, Cornhole, Badminton or even a makeshift putt-putt course.
- Scavenger hunt: Get the team up and moving with a downtown Indy adventure.
- Live game show: With the proper equipment, you can host a live game show, certain to create participation and fun.
- Karaoke: Embrace the embarrassment with your team because nothing brings people together like drinks and singing!
- Set the vibe with some jams.
Speaking of karaoke, every party needs music right?
- Bring a speaker to set the vibe just right
- Hire a local band
- Consider a DJ to provide entertainment for the day
Either way, music is essential to a successful picnic!
Or… bring it all in!
Planning a summer company picnic in downtown Indianapolis requires a lot of planning. Weather, parking, permits, park regulations, drinks, food, and fun all must be carefully thought out and attended to. But don’t forget, there is always the option to host your picnic indoors! You could always find a local, beautiful event space to hold your company’s summer picnic. Skip the bugs, skip the sweat, and skip the headache! You deserve a relaxing time too and by taking the time to plan and prepare, you can ensure that your company picnic is a success and a memorable experience for everyone involved.
You don’t need to look too far! Have your company’s summer picnic at Maven Space!
Maven Space has the perfect spot for your group… large or small. Maven Space is the newest, most unique event space in downtown Indy. With nearly 10,000 square feet of flexible event spaces, Maven Space can accommodate groups from 30 to 300.
You’ll love working with the Maven Space events team. Maven Space features the fabulous food and top-notch service of the Fork & Function catering team. Chef Sarah Showalter and event designer and coordinator Nakia Miller, along with their team of passionate service professionals go above and beyond to delight your guests. Along with our event planner Karen Kennedy, the Maven Space events team can create a picnic your group will never forget.